Thursday, March 01, 2007

One More Strand of Gristle Goes Pop... and Voila! You're a Pedestrian.


Well, nothing popped... this time. But an old injury came back into the mix when I tried to go snowboarding a week ago. Frustrating doesn't describe it, seeing as how I now have to sell all my snowboarding stuff.

I had a chronic condition due to overtraining about 7 or 8 years ago called compartment syndrome. It basically involves a buildup of pressure in one of the bodies muscle compartments. In my case it was the lateral compartment of the lower leg, and I had the surgery to correct it for good. Or so I thought.

Last year while snowboarding (and even a little bit while climbing) I experienced the symptoms but not to the degree that I did before the surgery. Basically, the symptoms involve intense pain on the lateral side of my leg just above my ankle; a small herniation which you can see and push on; red, shiny skin; and my feet go numb. Fun stuff.

Last week I tried snowboarding but the pressure of the boots on my feet, especially my right foot which is permanently attached to my board, brought back the original symptoms. I couldn't even do one run. Had to slide down most of the hill on my ass while holding my board. By the time I got back to the car my feet were completely numb.

Connective tissue. Thats what gets us all in the end. But I'll be damned if it gets me now.

Hell, I've strained muscles, sprained ligaments, broken bones, had surgery just to be able to run, but nothing would ever deter me from doing the things I love. If you wanna focus on specifics, then yes, you could argue that these recent events will keep me from snowboarding for the rest of my life, unless I go under the knife again. You know what? I've been sliced open just so I could go for a run again. Oh, and the condition was so bad originally, that I couldn't walk up a hill or walk in snow without being in agony, but that is beside the point. I did it all for that feeling you get when you're zipping along a trail during the summer or an empty sidewalk at night, the feeling you get after an 18 miler... when the rest of the day is spent bumping into random items (basically being Tellified) because you can't control small movements, the feeling you get after a workout where you have figuratively and literally kicked the shit out of yourself.

So far it has only affected my snowboarding. I'll admit... its hard when your head and your heart are into an activity, and your body, maddeningly out of your control (although it should be in your control... there's the next evolution), says no. If it continues and affects other activities like climbing or, God forbid, running... well... I'll be doing a lot of research on the success rates of second procedures. Here's hoping it doesn't come to that.

No comments: